Sunday, January 6, 2013

Wig shopping

Yesterday I went wig shopping with my high school best friend that experienced cancer at 17 years old. I had asked her if she would go with me when she had asked me what she could do to help. Knowing that she had experienced shopping for one before, I felt comfort in knowing she would be the perfect person during such a vulnerable time

Katie had a pre-arranged list of places to visit and even called them on our way to find out if we could just walk in and try them on. There was one store we had heard about that was new and had recently been on the news advertising their business. When we walked in, we were a little nervous because we didn't know what to expect.

The entire store had heads all over with a HUGE selection of hair pieces. We were greeted immediately by a lady who came to unlock the door. She asked what we were looking for, and I laughed and said she was the very first person I had talked to about wigs, so I had no idea! She asked if I wanted synthetic or real, and I asked what the difference was. She said the real hair you could wash and style, use heat on like regular hair. Some of the synthetic pieces you could style, apply heat and wash as well. Basically I gathered the biggest difference was that the real hair pieces felt soft and were much more expensive. 

We started with a real hair piece. The brown hair was wavy, long and beautiful. It had light highlights and felt so incredibly soft, I had missed that feeling. It came with a high price, considering it cost 249.00...

Then I tried on a short curly one that was synthetic. It was only 39.99, and I started to get excited with all of the options I had and how inexpensive some of them were!
 Katie started to get into it too! We were loving seeing how different we looked with so many cuts and colors. She started to consider dying her hair brown. Each wig had netting that laid on the front of your forehead that they cut and fit specifically to your head before you leave. They also have a stretchy band on the inside to tighten and loosen it, as well as three combs to place in your remaining hair to help it stay.

 Next I tried on my very favorite. A real hair piece with long red hair and bangs. Sounds very eccentric doesn't it? But I fell in love with it. It was priced at $150 and I knew I didn't have the money up front. But I tried it on so I could see how I looked. 
 It was so light and soft, and my eyes looked strikingly blue with the red tones. I felt more like myself in this one than any others, and told the lady I'd have to come back for it. Then before we left, I saw a soft brown, slightly curled hair with highlights and had to try it on. The sales lady helped me put it on, and I absolutely loved my new self. This one was only priced at $89, was synthetic and she offered me a 15% discount because it had been on the floor for trying on. It was also the last one of its kind. She brushed it and I put it on with pride. 
 On a day that I thought would be incredibly sad, I ended up having one of the best days of my life. We smiled, we shed tears and we shared our sisterhood in a journey Katie understood. I felt comfort in knowing there was someone who truly knew what I was going through, and for once I didn't feel alone.

3 comments:

  1. This brought me to tears. You are beautiful...absolutely... inside and out. And HOW FUN to try on all of those wigs. They all look good on you, but you are right, the red...you can see how much you love it, and for obvious reason...gorgeous!!! Love that you have a friend with you walking right along. Imperative. Heaps of love, beautiful woman!!! xoxo- Bex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple Missy.... go with Purple. =)

    Your Cousin Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can rock any look! They all look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete