Friday, December 28, 2012

Surgery

Chemo bling my mom got for me :)


I had my first appointment with the breast surgeon who will be removing the cancer. It's a female, and has the same name as my mom. She examined me and then discussed everything that surgery would entail while including my mom and my aunt. She explained that the lump was smaller than two cm, and that both armpits did not show signs of any swollen lymph nodes. She described the further testing I will have done such as a sentinel node biopsy. This will be the first thing they do on the day of the surgery. They inject a needle in my breast and blue dye flows to the first lymph nodes that collect the fluid and white blood cells from my breasts. This is my first line of defense of my lymph system- meaning that if there were any cancer cells that left the site of the lump, it would have to travel to the sentinel nodes that turn blue. They will then remove the sentinel nodes and biopsy them during my surgery. If it shows that any cancer has spread to the lymph nodes, more will have to be removed. 

Then the doctor talked to me about the surgeries and options. She stated that if I chose to have a lumpectomy, She would have to go back in to the same spot and remove a very large margin of tissue. With the size of my breasts, she said that over half of the tissue would be gone and it would be significantly different in size. Not only that, but it would also increase my risk for a second breast cancer due to me leaving the tissue there. 

I also learned that even if I chose to have a mastectomy (removing of the entire breast) on one side, I will be at a higher risk for a second, primary cancer in the opposite breast. So I don't know how I would feel about knowing I have had breast cancer and have an increased chance of developing it again. Then we talked about a double mastectomy.

I looked at the doctor and said, "I'm twenty eight. I have a lot of years to live, and a three and four year old who need me. I don't want to be conservative or risk having to develop breast cancer a second time. I know I want a double mastectomy." The doctor looked at me and smiled, "I agree" she said. "Can I give you a hug?" the doctor asked. I walked around the table and hugged her and told her I was happy she was going to take care of me.

So there it is. I made a decision. It was MY decision, no one elses. I read and learned what I needed to, I thought about different options and how it would affect me, and this is what I want.

Doctor told me we start surgery next month. "No waiting, let's beat this" she said. I meet with the oncologist next week. He will be delivering my chemo and the doctor I see very frequently. 

I meet with the plastic surgeon the 18th. I asked my breast surgeon (that's all she practices) who she recommended, girl to girl. She pointed to a name on the list and I made the call and set the date.

I'm happy to have results, but scared for the battle that is coming soooo much more quickly than I had anticipated. Saddles up, back straight- time to start this ride...

2 comments: