Thursday, December 27, 2012

Save the knockers, visit your Doctors!

So I haven't written because a lot has happened in my life that didn't have to do with me. My Uncle passed away that has been fighting cancer for 2 years. I got to say goodbye, but I've been taking it pretty hard. I've found it hard to put my feelings into words, and letting him go wasn't easy. He is an inspiration- a true fighter, and he will be in my heart for the rest of my life as someone I look up to.

On a positive note, I've decided to take this whole cancer thing and make it fun. I joke with my friends and family about it to make light of the situation. The truth is, the more I talk about it, the more I face it and realize it's real. I think if I didn't talk about it, I would pretend it wasn't happening. I joke with my dad that when you get cancer, you get funnier. He told me when you get cancer, you just get more sassy. :)

My best friend visited me yesterday. It was nice to talk about her wedding and stuff that didn't involve health care related events. It was fun to laugh about our memories and plan new ones. We drank an entire bottle of wine between the two of us (1.5 liters!)

I went to the grocery store yesterday, wearing my pink ribbon on my coat and the bagger told me she liked my ribbon. I shared with her that I had just been diagnosed and she shared her story. It's crazy how one bracelet, or one ribbon, opens people up to talking about their lives. It's a sisterhood I share with other women that makes me feel like they understand.

I find out my genetic results in a couple of days. This will help me make the right decision on what type of surgery I will need and start all my testing. I pray that I make the right decision (what I worry about all night.) Once I find out my results, I'll be sure to write about it to let my feelings out. I love you all ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment