Monday, December 17, 2012

Greatful RED

I decided today's blog would be funny and uplifting. Mostly because God kept me VERY busy today...

I started out today with my appointment to see the surgeon. He removed my stitches from when he had taken out the lump and answered some more of my questions. I'm waiting for the results of the genetic testing to find out if I carry the gene my mother's sister does. This gene is called BRCA2 and has an 85% chance I will develop not only one breast cancer, but a SECOND breast cancer in my life. 

Then Lilianna had her annual appointment. It ended with a flu shot which always goes wonderfully. 

That's pretty much what she looked like. But then they bribed her with the treasure chest so that lasted about 34 seconds.

After was my first day back to work since finding out I have cancer. I'm usually very bubbly and out-going. My patients literally get to know me, as I do them. I was worried about how I would keep it buried inside of me. 

I was with my first patient and cleaning their teeth. They had an ENTIRE mouth full of gritty, chewy, prophy paste. You know the stuff they use at the end before they floss? I HATE leaving little chewy remnants in my patient's mouths. I go to rinse her mouth and realize my water stops working! I'm crawling on the floor, trying to reach and unwrap cords to figure out why the water isn't working. Eventually I decide to go get a cup, fill it with water, and then pour it into her mouth. I had to do this the entire rest of the day since our manager was out of the office. 

Then I was with my next patient. I get up out of the chair for the doctor to do the exam when one of the assistants whispers my name. I turn around and she lip syncs to me, "You bled through your coat." And I am thinking "OH MY GOD." Not only do I have a patient in my chair, not only do I have the doctor waiting on me to take notes, but I literally do not have ANY other clothes with me. Not to mention the fact that our lab coats are WHITE! I play it off like its cool while she grabs me another lab coat. The doctor leaves and the assistant takes my patient to the front for me (with my back facing away of course!) I quickly run to the bathroom and start frantically taking my pants off. There, in the dental office bathroom, is me in my underwear, socks, and shoes... scrubbing my bloody pants in the sink! I quickly dab them with napkins and put them back on. Quickly enough to run out of the bathroom and act like nothing had happened. :)

I decided it was a good day. I stayed busy. I laughed. I talked with my friends and my patients. I was happy.

I log onto facebook and see one of my friends invites me to play FARMVILLE. After TONS of messages and love about getting cancer, I silently laugh to myself and think, "I have CANCER, NO I don't wanna play you in fucking Farmville!"

Just wanted to share the laughter from my day. I understood that God was keeping me too busy to wallow in my own pity, and for that I am extremely grateful. 



1 comment: